Friday, January 18, 2013

Books Series to Love

I have high hopes that my mysteries will become a string of books that people enjoy reading. While working on the second book in the Minnie Markwood Mysteries, I began a list in my head of all the book series I’ve enjoyed reading over the years. Here are a few of them.

The No 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency – Author Alexander McCall Smith created these little gems. How I love reading about the charming African detective, Precious Ramotswe. She is a “traditionally built,” woman who, with the inheritance from her father, opens a detective agency in Botswana. Here we learn of African ways, get to meet the love of Precious’ life, the mechanic J.L.B. Matekoni and chuckle at the antics of her secretary, Grace Makutsi, who received 98% on her secretarial test and wants everybody to know it. Full of love, laughter, charm, and poignancy – you’ve gotta love this series. And, lucky me, I still have two to read.

One For The Money – Is the first in the Stephanie Plum bond agent mysteries created by Janet Evanovich. I just finished Notorious 19 so you know she’s been around for a while. A couple of books in the series were real bombs, but 19 was pretty good. Stephanie is young, torn between two lovers, Ranger and Morelli, and gets into all kinds of trouble with her sidekick Lula, who, in Africa, would also be “traditionally built,” which is code for fat. Evanovich has branched out with other series, but the Plum books remain on top.

All Creatures Great and Small – This series is only four books, but I’ve read them all three or four times. I first read them many years ago (they were written in the 70's) on the recommendation of my mom and sisters. I will still pick one up if I’m feeling in need of a visit to the Yorkshire countryside where James Herriot, aka Alf White, lived and practiced his veterinary skills just before and just after WWII. His third and fourth books lacked some of the appeal of the first two, but are still worth the read especially if you love animals. At times I found myself laughing so hard the tears ran down my leg. One chapter in particular about the Raines Ghost triggered this reaction. And this vet's romancing of Helen, whom he eventually married, is not to be missed.

There are others, but I don't want to drive you away. I’d love to know about some of the book series that have kept you coming back for more. Care to share?



Image: Free Digital Photos 







10 comments:

  1. Do you have thr books for All Creatures Great and Small? Something to tide me over until your second book is published!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have at least one that I know where it is. I'll look for the other. =0)

      Delete
  2. Jan Karon's Mitford series! One of the few that I can read and re-read and re-re-read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my stars, Rhonda. I forgot about those. Read them all. Loved them. Hated when they went away, but look forward to the re-read! I even made the marmalade cake on Father's Day.

      Delete
  3. I've read many series and very partial to them. My longest running series in which I own all 23 hardcover copies is Agatha Raisin by M.C. Beaton. While, they are becoming redundant I will always buy them just to keep my collection current. The first book, "Quiche of Death," grabbed by attention right away. Agatha is crazy about her next door neightbor James and I kept reading to find out if this will ever happen.

    I also enjoyed the four book Bright Pond series with Agnes Sparrow and many others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Quiche of Death," now there's a title for you! I liked the Agnes Sparrow books, too. I have one more of those to read. Love your comments.

      Delete
  4. One of my all time favorites is L.M. Montgomery's Ann of Green Gables. Among other favorites I've enjoyed are series by James Scott Bell, Liz Curtis Higgs, and Lynn Austin. There are so many good ones out there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ann of Green Gables was one of my faves,too, Karen. I've read them all but quite a while ago. Thanks for the visit! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lorena McCourtney's Ivy Malone Mysteries - I love the author's unusual expressions throught the books.

    Thomas Kinkaid's Cape Light series.

    I subscribed to Annie's Attic series, but cancelled my subscription as it seemed to go on and on. Now that the series has ended I haven't read about Annie and Ian's wedding, which I'm sure is how it ended.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read one Ivy Malone and liked it. I'll have to check out her others. Didn't know Kinkaid had a series. Thanks for the heads up, Marion.

    ReplyDelete