Monday, August 5, 2013

Simple Treasures

How many times have you purchased something, doubted its usefulness, and then used it so much you can’t believe you didn’t buy two? Happens to me all the time. For instance:

See that carpet bag thingy in the picture? On one of my forays out into the retail world with my friend, Karen, she pointed them out to me at the Christmas Tree Shop. They were piled in a bin in the middle of the store all higgledy-piggledy and priced at five bucks. I hemmed and hawed. What would I ever use it for? Then over the course of the next five years I found out. It is the most excellent carry on bag I have ever had. I think it’s made out of Kryptonite or something. Nothing, not even baggage handlers, has done it any harm. And I can stuff all my “last minutes” into it including a change of underwear in case the plane crashes. Should that happen, as we plunge earthward, Stay out of my way while I’m hauling it out from under the plane seat. Even if you’re screaming and pulling my hair, I will NOT leave it behind. We’ll survive and I’ll have clean underwear.

Then there’s the mini spatula I bought at a Pampered Chef party. The dealer assured us it would become one of our most beloved tools in the kitchen. I had doubts, but it was cheap (do you see a pattern here?). It’s also made of Kryptonite and I love the thin edge. Cookies? Fried eggs? Pie? No problem. They all willingly leave the pan when this baby shows up. Doesn’t work too well on big honking hamburgers but that’s okay. It’s a treasure.

There are a few clothing items that fit this bill, too. Like my ratty blue sweater. As lovely and fashionable as it was when I bought it during the Eisenhower administration, it’s now at the bottom of the drawer getting ready to face another Fall season. I don it whenever I’m going to be home for the day. You won’t see me in it in the CVS, Target, or grocery store. No siree. But when the vacuum needs pushing or a toilet a scrubbing it’s ratty blue sweater all the way.

Among many other WIHT (wish I had two) items, I should mention the boat cushion. I can’t even remember where it came from. It’s a nice big white square, about three inches thick with sturdy black nylon straps on two sides. And do I use it when we go boating? I do not. I use it to sit or kneel on when I garden. The thing is indestructible. I drag it over rocks and rills, lumps and bumps – in a kind of lift and scoot fashion while I move through the weeds and crabgrass. I’ve used it for years and there’s not a single crack in it. One side is dirty and the other side, where I plop my bottom, is still nice and white. I keep it between the dryer and the wall in the laundry room.  Don’t even try to take it away from me. Things could get ugly.

So – there ya go. You’re doing a mental check of your own WITH items right now, aren’t you? 

  


6 comments:

  1. "Yes" to the PC small spatula! (And yes to the other two larger ones, for that matter.) :D I share your affinity for this handy-dandy helper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the looks of that bag. Might get one for myself next time in Christmas Tree store if they have them. And like I need another bag. And I wouldn't part with my small spatula for anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The red blotches are ladybugs. I didn't need another bag, either. LOL Sure glad I sprung for it!

      Delete
  3. Forget my mental check... my mind went to the nice clean white side of your boat cushion because of the clean underwear you always carry in your carpet bag thingy. This was a hoot to read!

    ReplyDelete