Tuesday, June 5, 2012

When Things are Tough


       
Just like everyone else I have my tough times. Right now is not one of them - just the opposite, in fact. But often that's the best time to reflect on the things that help us cope when life goes all haywire. This hymn is one I turn to when that happens. It's based on my favorite Bible verse Psalm 46:10  Be still and know that I am God. It's burned into my heart.

Perhaps it will help you, too. The Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings it most beautifully. You can find it on You Tube.


            
               Be Still My Soul

               By Katharina Schlegel (1697 – 1768)
               Music by Jean Sebelius from his Finlandia
               Based on Psalm 46:10

      Be still, my soul: the Lord is on your side. 
               Bear patiently thy cross of grief or pain; 
               leave to thy God to order and provide; 
               in every change He faithful will remain. 
               Be still, my soul: thy best, thy heavenly friend 
               through thorny ways leads to a joyful end. 
               Be still, my soul: thy God will undertake 
               to guide the future, as in ages past. 
               Thy hope, your confidence let nothing shake; 
               all now mysterious shall be bright at last. 
               Be still, my soul: the waves and winds still know 
               the Christ who ruled them while He dwelt below. 
               Be still, my soul: the hour is hastening on 
               when we shall be forever with the Lord, 
               when disappointment, grief, and fear are gone, 
               sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored. 
               Be still, my soul: when change and tears are past, 
               all safe and blessed we shall meet at last. 
 
 
 
Image: Free Digital Photos

4 comments:

  1. Jennifer Brown BanksJune 5, 2012 at 5:47 AM

    Sue,

    It's my favorite verse, too. Thanks for this uplifting post, and the reminder. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I listened to the MTC version while I read the words on Sue's blog. Just made me weep. So I did some digging about the composer Sebelius. He wrote Finlandia while the nation was under Russian oppression. The woman Katherina Schlegel was a German Lutheran poet and hymn writer. Be Still My Soul was published in 1752. The music of Finlandia was used as the music to her hymn. Schelegel wrote at a time of Christian revival in Germany. If you want a BEAUTIFUL tour of Finland in 9 minutes go to this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRE6ychlM00

    Finlandia is rendered by the London Philharmonic Orchestra and you will hear the hymn in the second half.

    Shari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shari, Every once in a while we find music and words that fit together so perfectly we know it must be God's doing. To Him be the glory! So glad you came by, sis.

      Delete